Home Page of Debnarayan Jana
E-mail: djphy at caluniv dot ac dot in |
cujanad at yahoo dot com
Tel : +91-33-2350 8386 ext 442
Ph.D., Raman Research Institute (Bangalore), Awarded by
Jawaharlal University (JNU, New Delhi), 1997
M.Sc. (Physics), University of Calcutta, 1990
B.Sc. (Physics), Narendrapur R. K. M. R. College, Calcutta,
Lecturer, Narendrapur R. K. M. R. College, Kolkata [1997-2000]
Lecturer, University of Calcutta, Kolkata [2000-2002]
Sr. Lecturer, University of Calcutta, Kolkata [2002-2005]
Visiting Research Fellow, Center for Condensed Matter Science (CCMS),
National Taiwan University, Taiwan [2003-04]
Reader, University of Calcutta [2008-2011]
Associate Professor [2008-2011]
Professor [2012-Till Date]
Bronze medal was awarded for poster presentation in ICON 2005,
Elected as a Fellow of West Bengal Academy of Science and
Some Selected Papers
1. P. B. Sunil Kumar and D. Jana, Imbibition: Experiments and
Simulations, Physica A, 224, 199 (1996)
2. D.Jana, Charged Scalar Field in an external magnetic field:
Renormalization and Universal Diamagnetism, Nucl. Phys. B,
473[FS], No. 3, 659-684 (1996).
3. D. Jana and J. Fort, A Simple Scaling Approach to Mott
Conductivity Law, Physica B, 344, 62-65 (2004).
4. J. Fort, D. Jana and J. Humet, Multi-delayed Random Walks:
Theory and Application in Neolithic Transition in Europe, Phys.
Rev. E, 70, 031913 (2004).
5. S. Dutta, M. Chakrabarty, S. Chattopadhyay, A. Sarkar, D.
Sanyal and D. Jana, Defect Dynamics of ZnO by Positron
Annihilation Spectroscopy, J. Appl. Phys., 98, 053513 (2005).
6. S.Dutta, D. Jana, S. Chattopadhyay, A. Banerjee, S. Manik, S.
Pradhan and A. Sarkar,
Annealing effect on nano-ZnO powder studied from positron life
time and optical spectroscopy, J. Appl. Phys. 100, 114328
7. D. Jana, L. C. Chen, C. W. Chen, S. Chattopadhyay and K. H.
Chen, A First Principles Study of optical properties of BxCy
single wall nanotubes, Carbon, 45, 1482 (2007).
8. Sreetama Dutta, Sanjay Chattopadhyay, Manas Sutradhar, Anindya
Sarkar, Mahuya Chakrabarti, Dirtha Sanyal and Debnarayan Jana,
Defects and the optical absorption in nanocrystalline ZnO,
Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, 19, 236218 (2007).
9. D. Jana, Anirban Chakraborti, L. C. Chen, C. W. Chen, and K.
H. Chen, First-principles calculations of the optical properties
of CxNy single walled nanotubes, Nanotechnology, 20, 175701
10. Pradipta Kumar Mandal and D.Jana, Multifractal behavior of
the surfaces evolved with surface relaxation, Phys. Rev. E, 77,
11. Pradipta Kumar Mandal and D.Jana , Non-universal finite size
scaling in rough surfaces, J. Phys. A: Math. Theor., 42,
12. Soubhik Chattopadhyay, Sreetama Dutta, Aritra Banerjee,
Sudipta Bandyopadhyay Debnarayan Jana, Sanjay Chattopadhyay,
Anindya Sarkar, Synthesis and characterization of Mn doped
single phase ZnO, Physica B, 404, 1509 (2009).
13. D. Jana, L. C. Chen, C. W. Chen, and K. H. Chen, An ab-initio approach to the optical properties of CxNy single wall
nanotubes, Diam. Relat. Matter, 18, 1002 (2009).
14. Soubhik Chattopadhyay, Sreetama Dutta, Sanjay
Chattopadhyay, Anindya Sarkar, Dirtha Sanyal, Mahua Chakrabarti,
Sourish Banerjee, Debabrata Das and Debnarayan Jana,
Defect dynamics of Si3N4 by Positron Annihilation Spectroscopy,
Physics Status Solidi (c), 6 , 2533 (2009)..
15. Soubhik Chattopadhyay, Sreetama Dutta, D. Jana,
S. Chattopadhyay, A. Sarkar, A. Kumar, D. Kanjilal, D.K. Mishra
and S. K. Ray, Interplay of Defects in ZnO by low energy Ar
irradiation, Jour. Appl. Phys, 107, 113516 (2010).
16. S. Chattopadhyay, Sreetama Dutta, Palash Pandit,
D. Jana, S. Chattopadhyay, A. Sarkar, P. Kumar, D.
Kanjilal, D.K. Mishra and S. K. Ray, Optical property
modification of ZnO: Effect of 1.2 Mev Ar irradiation , Physics
Status Solidi (C), volume 8, No. 2, 512 (2011).
17. Soubhik Chattopadhyay, S. K. Neogi, Sreetama Dutta,
D. Jana, S. Chattopadhyay, A. Sarkar, Disorder
driven optical processes in nano-crystalline ZnO, J.
Luminescence , 132, 6 (2012).
18. S. Biswas, D. Jana and R. K. Manna, Excess energy of an
ultra-cold Fermi gas in a trapped geometry, European Journal of
Physics D, 66, 217 (2012).
19. T. N. Ghosh, U. N. Nandi, S. Chattopadhyay, D. Jana and S.C. Saha, Scaling description of non-ohmic transport in manganites,
Solid State Commun, 152, 1595 (2012).
20. M. Borah, D. Mohanta, D. Sanyal, M. Chakrabarti and
Improved and delayed radiative emission response of Eu-doped
BaTiO3 nanoscale system, The European Physical Journal- Applied
Physics, 59, 10402 (2012).
21. Pradipta Kumar Mondal, Palash Nath and Debnarayan Jana,
Experimental Evidence of Multiaffinity in Pinned Interface,
European Journal of Physics B, 86, 132 ( 2013 ).
22. Shyamal Biswas , Swati Sen and D. Jana, A complete theory of
magnetism of free electrons, Physics of Plasma, 20, 052503
23. S. Ghose, S. Chattopadhaya, A. Sarkar. M. Chakrabarti, D.
Sanyal, , D. Das, T. Rakshit, S. K. Ray and D. Jana, Surface
defects induced Ferromagnetism in nano crystalline ZnO. J. Appl.
Phys, 114, 073516 (2013).
24. S. Pal, A. Sarkar. S. Chattopadhaya, M. Chakrabarti, D.
Sanyal, P. Kumar, D. Kanjilal, T. Rakshit, S. K. Ray, D. Jana,
Defects in 700 keV Oxygen ion irradiated ZnO, Nucl. Instru.
Method B, 313 20 (2013).
25. M.Marik, A.Mukherjee, D. Jana, A. Yoshizawa and
B.K.Chowdhuri, Dielectric Spectroscopy of T-shaped Blue Phase
-III Liquid Crystals, Phys. Rev. E, 88, 012502 ( 2013).
26. Palash Nath, Suman Chowdhury, Dirtha Sanyal and
Jana, Ab-initio calculation of electronic and optical properties
of nitrogen and boron doped graphene nanosheet, Carbon, 73, 275
27. Arnab Majumder, Suman Chowdhury, Palash Nath and Debnarayan
Jana, Vacancy induced magnetism in silicene: A first principles
study, RSC. Advances, 4, 32221 (2014).
28. T. N. Ghosh, U. N. Nandi, D. Jana, K. Dey and S. Giri,
Nonlinear AC Conduction in Polycrystalline Manganites, Journal
of. Applied Physics, 115 , 243707 (2014).
29. Suman Chowdhury, Palash Nath, Debnarayan Jana,
Shape Dependent Anisotropic Optical Property of graphene
nanodisk, J. Physics and Chemistry of Solids, 83, 32 (2015).
30. Ritwika Das, Suman Chowdhury, Arnab Majumder and
Debnarayan Jana, Optical Properties of P and Al doped
Silicene: A First Principles Study, RSC. Advances, 5, 41 (2015).
31. Core-Shell ZnO@CuInS2 Hexagonal Nanopyramids with
Improved Photo-conversion Efficiency, K. Das, S. De. Kaushik
Chakrabarti, G. Sinha, D. Jana, Solar Energy and Materials, 143,
32. Debalina Chakraborty, U. N. Nandi, D. Jana, G.
Masud and S. Giri, Magnetic Phase characterization of
nanocrystalline La2NiMnO6 using alternating current conductance,
Jour. Appl. Phys, 118, 035103 (2015).
33. Saptarshi Pal, Anindya Sarkar, Pravin Kumar, D.
Kanjilal, Tamita Rakshit, Samit Kumar Ray, and Debnarayan Jana,
Low temperature photoluminescence from disordered granular ZnO,
Journal of Luminescene, 169, 326 (2016).
34. Palash Nath, Dirtha Sanyal and Debnarayan Jana,
Ab-initio calculation of optical properties of AA-stacked
bilayer graphene with tunable layer separation, Current Applied
Physics, 15, 691 (2015).
35. S. Ghose, T. Rakshit, R. Ranganathan and
Debnarayan Jana, Role of Zn-interstitial defect states on d0
ferromagnetism of mechanically milled ZnO nanoparticles, RSC.
Advances, 5, 99766 (2015).
36. Arka Bandyopadhyay, Parthasarathi Pal, Suman
Chowdhury, Debnarayan Jana, First principles Raman study
of boron and nitrogen doped planar T-graphene Cluster, Material
Research Express, 2, 095603 (2015).
37. A. Sarkar, Dirtha Sanyal, Palash Nath, Mahuya
Chakrabarti, Saptarshi Pal, Sanjay Chattapadhyay, Debnarayan
Jana, and K Asokan, Defects driven ferromagnetism in SnO2: A
combined study using Density Functional Theory and Positron
annihilation spectroscopy, RSC Advances, 5, 1148 (2015).
38. Palash Nath and Debnarayan Jana, Observation
of non-universal scaling exponent in a kinetic roughening model,
Int. J. Mod. Phys C, 26, 1550115 (2015).
1. D. Jana and J. Fort, On Mott conductivity exponents of
Pseudo-gap amorphous systems, in ` Frontiers on Condensed Matter
Physics Research' edited by John V. Chang (Nova Science
Publishers, NY, USA (2006)) pp 111-128.
2. D. Jana, On Study of Universal Diamagnetism of Spinless
Bosons: From N Finite particles to Field Theory, "Astrophysics
and Condensed Matter" (Horizons in World Physics, Volume 262)
Edited by Thomas G. Hardwell (Nova Science Publishers, NY, USA
(2008)) pp. 73-106.
3. Sreetama Dutta, Sanjay Chattopadhyay, Anindya Sarkar, Mahuya
Chakrabarti, Dirtha Sanyal and Debnarayan Jana, Role of defects
in tailoring structural , electrical and optical properties of ZnO, Progress in Material Science,
54, 89 (2009).
4. D.Jana, C.L. Sun, L.C. Chen and K.H.
Chen, Effect of chemical doping of boron and nitrogen on the
electronic optical and electrochemical properties of carbon
nanotubes, Prog. Mat. Sc., 58, 565 (2013).
5. Upendranath Nandi, Debnarayan Jana and Deep
Talukdar, Scaling Description of Non-Ohmic Direct Current
Conduction in Disordered Systems, Prog. Mat. Sc, 71, 1 (2015).
Condensed Matter Physics (Theory + Experiment)
Universal Diamagnetism, Mott Conductivity, Defect Dynamics in
ZnO and other systems, Density Functional Theory in Carbon Nanotubes, Interface Growth Dynamics in Random Porous Media
Non-linear Conduction in Disordered Systems, DFT study in
Graphene and Silicene
1. A joint project with Dr. Upendranth Nandi of Scottish
Church College, Kolkata as Principal Investigator (PI) has been
approved by DST, 2014.
The title of the project: Measurement of flicker noise in mixed
valence polycrysystalline R1-xAxMnO3
manganites with R as rare earth elements and A as divalent
L.-C. Chen (CCMS, NTU, Taiwan)
K.H. Chen (IAMS, NTU, Taiwan)
C.W. Chen (NTU, Taiwan)
J. Fort ( Univ. of Girona, Spain)
D. Sanyal ( VECC, Kolkata)
A. Sarkar ( Bangabasi Morning College, Kolkata)
S. Chattopadhyay ( Moulana Azad College, Kolkata)
D. Das ( Narendrapur R. K. M. R. College, Kolkata)
U. Nandi ( Scottish Church College, Kolkata)
A. Mookerjee ( SN Bose National Center for Basic Sciences,
Sreetama Dutta (2009)
Soubhik Chattaopadhyay (2010)
Pradipta Kumar Mondal ( Lecturer, Scottish Church College,
Palash Nath (2015)
Tilak Narayan Ghose
Manoj Marik (2015)
Namrta Dhar (DST-INSPIRE)
Post Doctoral Fellow (UGC D.S. Kothari)
Shyamal Biswas (Faculty, Central University of Hyderabad)
Kajari Das (2014-Till date)
Sumit Mandal ( SERB, 2016-till date)
Quantum Mechanics I
Advanced Condensed Matter Physics I
Advanced Condensed Matter Physics II
Atomic and Laser Physics
Advanced Condensed Matter Physics II/Material Physics
Condensed Matter Physics Laboratory
Books written for NET/SET Exam
1. Target SET NET (Part -I) General Science for M. Sc. students
(published by D. N. Prakashan Pvt. Ltd, 35/2 Beniatola Lane,
Kolkata -9, W. B. 2009).
2. Target SET NET (Part -II) Physical Science for M. Sc.(Physics)
and advanced B.Sc.Students (published by D. N. Prakashan Pvt.
Ltd, 35/2 Beniatola Lane, Kolkata- 700 009, W.B., 2010)
Invited book published by Lambert Academic Publishing (LAP),
Title: A statistical description of electrical
transport in disordered systems
Authors: Debnarayan Jana and Upendranath Nandi
ISBN No.- 978-3-8454-0715-9
Title: Dimensional Analysis: Modern Perspectives
Author: Debnarayan Jana
ISBN No.- 978-3-8465-3142-6
1. Suman Chowdhury, Ritwika Das, Palash Nath, Dirtha Sanyal
and Debnarayan Jana, Electronic and Optical properties of
Boron and Nitrogen functionalized graphene nanosheet, in
“Chemical Functionalization of Carbon Nanomaterials: Chemistry
and Applications” edited by Vijay Kumar Thakur, Manju Kumari
Thakur (CRC Publications, Taylor and Francis, July 31, 2015;
ISBN: 978-1-4822-5394-8) Pages: 949-968.
2. Debnarayan Jana , Palash Nath and Dirtha Sanyal,
Modification of electronic structure of graphene by Boron and
Nitrogen doping, in Graphene Science Handbook: Mechanical and
Chemical Properties as a Chapter in CRC Publications, Taylor
and Francis, (ISBN 9781466591370 - CAT# K20510, April, 2016).