Home Page of Parongama Sen
Present position : Professor
E-mail: E-mail: psphy at caluniv.ac.in | parongama at
Ph.D., Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Calcutta 1993
M.Sc. (Physics), University of Calcutta, 1986 (exam held in
B.Sc. (Physics), Presidency College, Calcutta, 1984
Lecturer, College of Applied Sciences, University of
Research Associate, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi,
Research Associate, Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics,
Post Doctoral Fellow, University of Cologne, 1996-97
Lecturer, Surendranath College, Calcutta, 1997-2000
Lecturer, University of Calcutta, 2000-2005
Reader, University of Calcutta, 2005-2008
Professor, University of Calcutta, 2008-till date
Statistical physics: phase transitions and critical
phenomena in magnetic systems,
networks, quantum systems, percolation etc. Dynamical
phenomena in complex
physical and social systems.
Seminars, Conferences, Symposium, Workshops etc.
Statphys Kolkata V, Kolkata 2004 (co-convenor)
One day seminar, Kolkata 2005 to celebrate World
Year of Physics
Refresher course, University of Calcutta, 2006 on
Topics of Theoretical Physics
Statphys Kolkata VI, Kolkata 2007 (co-convenor)
Statphys Kolkata VII, Kolkata 2010 (co-convenor)
Diversity and complexity: Realm of today's Statistical
Physics, Kolkata 2013 (2014)
Talks given in conferences/symposium etc. (last 5 years)
Scientific visits of short durations:
- Complexities of the earthquake network, Social Network
Analysis 2009, New Delhi 2009.
- Funnelling effect in networks, Complex 2009, Shanghai,
- Teaching computational Physics in Calcutta University,
Workshop in Computational Physics, TIFR, Mumbai, 2009.
- Dynamics of Ising model on networks, Invited talk,
Dynamics on networks, IISER Pune 2009.
- Navigation on complex networks, Invited talk, Indo
Russian workshop on
Complex network dynamics, IICB, Kolkata 2009.
- Dimension, Statistical Physics and Complex Networks,
Colloquium talk, IIT Kanpur, 2010.
- Role of saving in gains and losses in kinetic models of wealth exchange, Epkol VI 2011 SINP Kolkata
- An agent based model with preferences in interactions, Epkol
VII 2012 SINP
- Statistical Physics and its modern applications, Frontiers of Physics: An Exchange of ideas on emerging direction (under SUN program), Burdwan University, 2013.
- Applications of Statistical Physics in interdisciplinary topics, Series of lectures in Geometry and Dynamics Summer Institute, Brandeis University, 2013.
- Exit probability and universalitiy, RTM Nagpur University (on the occasion of 75 years of the Physics department), Invited talk, 2014
- Random walks: new aspects and applications, IISER Kolkata, Invited talk, 2014
- Universality and diversity in the realm of Statistical Physics, colloquium talk, Presidency University, 2014
- Quantum random walks: some recent results, Quantum Coherence - Theory Meets Experiments at IACS, Invited talk, Kolkata 2014
Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
University of Aachen (Aachen, Germany),
University of Halle (Halle, Germany)
University of Tel-Aviv (Tel-Aviv, Israel),
Max Planck Institute of Polymers and Complex Systems
Polytecnico de Torino (Turin, Italy)
Padova University (Padova, Italy)
University of Illinois, Chicago (USA)
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (Mumbai, India)
Indian Institute of Science (Bangalore, India)
Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics (Bangalore,
Indian Institute of Technology (Kanpur, India)
Indian Institute of Technology (Mumbai, India)
Institute of Mathematical Science, Chennai (India).
Brandeis University (Waltham, USA)
Boston University (Boston, USA)
RTM University (Nagpur, India)
Abdus Salam ICTP
IMSc Associate (2011-2013)
Awarded APS-IUSSTF Professorship, 2012-13
Books, music, films, sports, people, nature
Poverty, violence, war...