Home Page of Parongama Sen
Present position : Professor
E-mail: E-mail: psphy at caluniv.ac.in | parongama at
Ph.D., Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Calcutta 1993
M.Sc. (Physics), University of Calcutta, 1986 (exam held in
B.Sc. (Physics), Presidency College, Calcutta, 1984
Lecturer, College of Applied Sciences, University of
Research Associate, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi,
Research Associate, Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics,
Post Doctoral Fellow, University of Cologne, 1996-97
Lecturer, Surendranath College, Calcutta, 1997-2000
Lecturer, University of Calcutta, 2000-2005
Reader, University of Calcutta, 2005-2008
Professor, University of Calcutta, 2008-till date
Statistical physics: phase transitions and critical
phenomena in magnetic systems,
networks, quantum systems, percolation etc. Dynamical
phenomena in complex
physical and social systems.
Seminars, Conferences, Symposium, Workshops etc.
Statphys Kolkata V, Kolkata 2004 (co-convenor)
One day seminar, Kolkata 2005 to celebrate World
Year of Physics
Refresher course, University of Calcutta, 2006 on
Topics of Theoretical Physics
Statphys Kolkata VI, Kolkata 2007 (co-convenor)
Statphys Kolkata VII, Kolkata 2010 (co-convenor)
Diversity and complexity: Realm of today's Statistical
Physics, Kolkata 2013 (2014)
Talks given in conferences/symposium etc. (last 5 years)
Scientific visits of short durations:
- Role of saving in gains and losses in kinetic models of wealth exchange, Epkol VI 2011 SINP Kolkata.
- An agent based model with preferences in interactions, Epkol VII 2012 SINP Kolkata.
- Statistical Physics and its modern applications, Frontiers of Physics: An Exchange of ideas on emerg ing direction (under SUN program), Burdwan University, 2013.
- Application of statistical physics in interdisciplinary fields: Series of lectures in Geometry and Dynamics Summer Institute, Brandeis University, 2013.
- Exit probability and universalitiy, RTM Nagpur University (on the occasion of 75 years of the Physics department), 2014
- Random walks: new aspects and applications, IISER Kolkata, 2014.
- Universality and diversity in the realm of Statistical Physics, Colloquium talk, Presidency University, 2014.
- Quantum random walks: some recent results, Quantum Coherence - Theory Meets Experiments at IACS, Kolkata 2014.
- Exit probability in classical spin chains, Indian Statistical Physics community meeting, Bangalore 2015.
- Quantum random walk: recent developments, Colloquium talk, University of Saarlandes in Saarbrucken, Germany 2015
- Opinion dynamics models with domain size dependent dynamics, MPI, Dresden 2015.
- Statistical physics of opinion formation, ICTP, Trieste, 2015.
- Domain growth phenomena in an interactive asymmetric walker model, Growing length scale phenomena 2015.
- Social segregation: effect of continuous utility factor, Econophysics 2015 (JNU and DU) New Delhi 2015.
- Random fibre bundle model: An improved scheme to maximise the strength, CSAS 2016, IIT Chennai.
Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
University of Aachen (Aachen, Germany),
University of Halle (Halle, Germany)
University of Tel-Aviv (Tel-Aviv, Israel),
Max Planck Institute of Polymers and Complex Systems
Polytecnico de Torino (Turin, Italy)
Padova University (Padova, Italy)
University of Illinois, Chicago (USA)
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (Mumbai, India)
Indian Institute of Science (Bangalore, India)
Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics (Bangalore,
Indian Institute of Technology (Kanpur, India)
Indian Institute of Technology (Mumbai, India)
Institute of Mathematical Science, Chennai (India).
Brandeis University (Waltham, USA)
Boston University (Boston, USA)
RTM University (Nagpur, India)
Saarlandes University (Saarbrucken, Germany)
Abdus Salam ICTP
IMSc Associate (2011-2013)
Awarded APS-IUSSTF Professorship, 2012-13
Books, music, films, sports, people, nature
Poverty, violence, war...
PhD students guided:
1. Kamalika Basu Hajra (2008), Assistant Professor, Acharya
jagadish Bose College, Kolkata
2.Soham Biswasi (2012), Post doctoral fellow at UNAM,Mexico
3. Sanchari Goswami(2014), Assistant Professor, St Xavier's
PhD students at present:
Application of statistical physics in problems related to social
(2013-2016) supported by CSIR. Total amount sanctioned Rs
8,00,000 + manpower